False economy,or buy cheap,buy twice!

For a change this weekend, I didn’t go to the boatyard until Saturday morning. Got a soaking at work in the rain Friday and just had to go home and dry out!
So,Saturday morning was mild and dry,time to crack on with the welding,yay,real progress.
Got the first section(640mmx100mm) cut out and a nice new piece of shiny mild steel plate cut to size.
Cut the rusty piece out with a Black and Decker Scorpion saw,a bit more neighbour friendly than the angle grinder(noise,and flying sparks) and its a neater cut. The Scorpion was a Gumtree bargain at £10 and I highly recommend it. Steel blades a couple of quid on eBay.
Time to weld! Out with Sip Wizarc  140 (ebay £15)and away we go. All my previous(lots) welding has been with mig and 15+ years ago,so I was slightly apprehensive (and rusty!) but after watching a few you tube videos on the subject,I was pretty sure I could get good results.
I only bought the arc welder in the knowledge that I wouldn’t be using it on
anything less than 2mm steel,and mostly thicker.A few adjustments to the amps and I was laying down nice neat welds with good penetration,as per photo. Excuse the quality of the photo,bit dark and not an easy place to get to.

image

Time to tidy up with the grinder. This was bought new,I actually bought 2,to cut down on disc swapping. But, I bought cheap.£15 each from Argos. Shit.waste of money. Bearing in mind I only got the boat in August,they were less than 6 months old. They’ve not done much work,mostly wire brushing and flap wheels. First one died a fortnight ago,and the second one died 3/4 of the way through cleaning up the first welded plate. And guess who can’t find the receipts?
All my of my other power tools have been bought second hand,but reasonable brands. Two new ‘challenge’ grinders die rapidly.
So,that was the end of that welding session! Other than the obvious( Bosch,makita,dewalt etc) can anyone recommend a good reasonable priced grinder? By the way,it was the motors that burned out on both the others.
Obviously, I’m on a restrictive budget with this project,economies have to made where possible,but I certainly won’t entertain any of the ‘challenge’ tools again! Rubbish.

image

Another,better,pic of new cabin doors. Note galvanised fittings,while stainless would be nice,and longer lasting,I couldn’t justify the price. And there’s no stainless fittings elsewhere,so they’d look out of place.

Belated Happy New Year to you all,here’s to a year of plenty of boat time and if we’re really lucky,some good sailing too!
The posts have been a bit thin on the ground of late,I sort of made a New Years resolution to post at least once a week, but like all good resolutions,it didn’t last long. I will try harder,honestly;)
Although I’ve been spending every weekend on board,there hasn’t really been a great deal to write about.
I seem to have got overwhelmed with rubbish! Where I’ve been stripping  most of interior out,I’ve fallen into the habit of compulsive hoarders and have been loathe to throw anything away,in case it might”come in handy”,so whatever I try to do involves moving stuff around the boat to make room to work. This normally involves piling it all on my berth,and then come bedtime,having to move it all again. Very time consuming and bloody frustrating.
So last weekend I spent a morning carrying bits of plywood (some rotten,some possibly salvageable) and 4 big sheets of galvanised tin down the ladder and under the boat where I’ve sheeted it over. The sheets of galvanised tin,by the way,were the sides of the heads and hanging locker. They were pop-riveted to the internal framework and covered over with lovely brown cork tiles. Nice.
What was the starboard hanging locker is now the heads,a false floor has been installed,and I’ve made a start panelling it out with tongue and groove.
The original port heads is hopefully to be transformed into a shower space, I think I can just squeeze one in.Currently plucking up courage to cut a shower tray to fit. Hot water will be supplied via a wall mounted tankless LPG  boiler unit,the waste will drain into a custom made tank that will fit in the bilge. Within the tank will be an auto bilge pump to get rid of the water as level rises. That’s the theory anyway.
New cabin doors have been made and fitted, just a little finishing off and painting required.
Hoping to make a proper start on welding the holes in deck this weekend,but of course that all depends on the weather.
I’m sort of hoping to launch by the end of May,very optimistic I know!
I’m not expecting her to be finished by then(far from it!) but hopefully watertight,able to move under her own power and habitable enough to move on board. That is the goal,to live aboard!

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

/img_20160117_115757.jpg” />